Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Southern Girls Challenge - Winged Things (Team Lou)

This is my last time posting as part of the Southern Girls DT.  I have enjoyed being part of the group for the past six months and connecting with ladies from Alaska to "Down Under"!  I know I will stay connected by entering their challenges in the future.  You're in for a treat with the new DT members and the upcoming challenges!

How appropriate that Aurora Wings is one of the sponsors for our Winged Things Challenge!  Their images are so unique and always stretch my coloring skills - which I love!   This dainty beauty is called Fairy Dancer.  It took me back to my days dreaming of being a ballerina when I was a little girl.
I've had this bg paper sitting around for quite some time (years) and it was perfect for this image.  The movement in the pattern and the soft colors just called to me.

The fairy oval and the colored die cut from are inlaid into the card front.  I love to inlay my die cuts. It's pretty simple to create the "Outside the Box" look.  I just position my die and lightly mark the spots that will extend beyond the die cut.  I trim those pieces (eventually fussy cutting them) and slide the die under all of the spots that will extend beyond the border.  Because they sit on top of the die when I run it through my CB, they don't get cut.


I wanted to keep my Copics on the softer side, so the colors I used for her tutu are R000, 11, 20, 22.
Her wings are layers of BG0000 and 000.
Skin colors:  E00, 21, 11
Hair:  E41, 50, 53 and Y21
Shading: C00, C0 & C1 in the deeper shadows
Wink of Stella is used on the wings to give them a little shimmer.

Stop over at the Southern Girls Challenge Blog to see what the other winged things the gals on Team Lou have for you this fortnight.

Feb. 11, 2015







Challenges Entered:
TTCRD Feb. 10-16:  AG
Aurora Wings #11 - Valentines
C4C #272- Fit for a Queen
Just Us Girls #279 - Word of the week - Love (ballerinas and coloring with my Copics)
Sister Act #92 - AG
613 Avenue Create #110 - AG with Color bingo (far left column)
That Craft Place - AG


11 comments:

  1. Beautiful, elegant and classy card Cathy love that image and the wonderful colours, superb design.
    hugs
    lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous card, Cathy! Love your soft coloring - perfect for a delicate Fairy Dancer. Love the beautiful paper, too. Thank you for joining Aurora Wings' Valentine's challenge with your beautiful creation.

    Mitzi xx
    Artist/Owner AuroraWings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your ballerina is beautiful - she's sweet and delicate. Thanks for joining our challenge at 613 Avenue Create.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty card and so nicely colored! I love that 'out of the die' technique, too! thanks for joining us this week at Just Us Girls and Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really fascinated with you "out of the die" technique. I am going to have to try this because I love the effect!! Your ballerina is awesome and I am going to have to buy this digi!! Great soft colors!! Thanks for joining us at Through the Craft Room Door!
    Hugs
    Darcy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Cathy,
    Just wanted to stop by to let you know that your were slected as our Designer of the Day for February 11, 2015 and your project is featured today on our FB page www.facebook.com/avenue613 . Please stop by our FB page to say hello and to grab your Designer of The Day Badge.
    Hugz,
    Chana, Owner

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love, LOVE your gorgeous card Cathy. Beautiful colours, enchanting image and fabulous layout. Hugs, Wends x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Positively peachy, Cathy! A lovely card! Hugs, Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is gorgeous!! The fairy is just lovely (of course), and that paper is so perfect!! Just goes to show we can't get rid of anything in our craft supplies, can we? Love this card.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Kathy, this is just beautiful! Love the pink and delicate coloring. Fabulous work. Thanks so much for joining our Valentine's Challenge at Aurora Wings. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Your coloring skills are amazing! Love this gorgeous card! Thanks for joining us at Just Us Girls!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them. Cathy