Saturday, March 30, 2013

Playing with CAS

Happy Friday! Today's card combines this week's Friday Mash Up Challenge (using notebook paper and distressing the card) with the CASE Study Challenge #134.  Julie Ebersole has been this month's muse and she's pretty close to perfection when it comes to CAS cards.  I wish I could get in her head, because every card she creates is amazing.
Asian Fusion, Gracious Vases - PTI
 
You can see the influence of both challenges in my card.  I stamped my vases on PTI patterned paper called Library Ledger, and used my spiral punch to make the paper look like I ripped it out of a spiral notebook.  I inked the edges to give it the distressed look.  I was thrilled with how the "hello" fit perfectly on the lines!  I wanted to limit the layers, but the card looked more complete when I mounted the image to kraft paper and then to the brown card base.  It must be a CAS card despite the layers because my head was screaming to add things to the card!!

As with other CAS cards, there are about seven tries in the garbage as I experimented with paper, ink colors, and stamping.  I ended up adding three rhinestones to the center of the three of the flowers.  Bling is always good, right?!?

I'm experimenting with using a watermark on my cards - but I'm not sure this is the right one.  Stay tuned!
Case Study challenge #134
  Craft Tip:   I have two relatively new tools in my craft room that I want to share with you.  I made the purchase in January after seeing them used in videos when I was taking the CAS class over at Online Card Classes.

The first is the Fiskars stamp press.  This is the small one.  I have to admit that I saw a demo at Archivers a couple of years ago and thought it was silly.  I was wrong!  The grids help line up stamps, I can put more than one acrylic stamp on it and just stamp once.  But the best feature is how accurately it stamps.  Sometimes my vision is distorted when I use an acrylic block - that's not the case with this tool.  I know exactly where the image is going to end up on the paper!  The "hello" on my card is a perfect example - precisely on the line.  Woo!

The second tool is a pair of craft tweezers.  I don't know about you, but lots of times my hand gets in the way when I am trying to add a layer or an embellishment to my card - the tweezers get my hand out of the way which means I don't need to do as much adjusting when I'm using the tweezers.  I used Michael's coupons and got both for a great price.  

Remember - the Sister Act Card Challenge has its debut April 5th! Hope you'll come and play with us.


5 comments:

  1. Oh, how cute! I love the vases on the shelf look, and your hello is perfect! Thanks for joining the Friday Mashup this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute, Cathy. And the bling is perfect! And congrats on the news of being selected for the Design Team. You will be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you stamped directly onto the dp, great effect! Such a great design and choice of images.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great card!I love the vases on the dp, and the hello looks like you wrote it in calligraphy. Thanks for playing along with us at the Friday Mashup this week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them. Cathy