Thursday, April 2, 2015

Creative Knockouts #83 - DieCut/Punch Frenzy Challenge

Stitchy Bear Digital Outlet is sponsoring the latest challenge from Creative Knockouts with a $10.00 prize to use at their site for the challenge winner.  Stitchy Bear has quite a wonderful variety of digital images.  My card uses one called Fanciful Bouquet.

Since it's a die cut/punch challenge, I decided to make use of my stitched rectangle dies from Lil' Inker.  The Simon Says Stamp! hello sentiment is a die cut and so is the flag it is mounted on.



I think I had almost every V and BV Copic I owned out as I colored these flowers because  I wanted to use a variety of colors in the same color family in the bouquet.  The thing I discovered as I played was adding some V to the BV colored flowers gave them some interest and dimension that using 3 adjacent colors didn't.  The same thing happened when I added BV to the flowers colored mainly with V markers!  I used a B39 in the interior of the bouquet which gave a different kind of depth than just dark greens!  My point in all of this is don't be afraid to experiment outside of the traditional color combinations!



I decided this image was a perfect one for trying something I have been thinking about for a while - a different kind of out of the box technique.  The image is printed so it's large enough to cover the card front. (Gotta love digital images for this!!)  The largest Lil' Inker rectangle die covers the whole card front.  I trimmed the outer edges a bit so the deep purple paper underneath was still visible.  Then I took another die and cut the center.  This created a "frame" for my with the colored image, which is popped off of the card front.  I had to trim the inset panel before I mounted it on white and adhered it to the purple card back.


The hello & flag sit on top of the outer frame and is also mounted on foam, so the card had many layers and lots of dimension.  My photography skills and camera aren't really able to do justice in showing the card's dimension.

I love the way the card turned out - and how "front and center" the technique uses the Stitchy Bear image.  I hope you will share your talents with us at Creative Knockouts for Challenge #83.

Challenges Entered:
Pink Elephant #282/ - AG
Aurora Wings #13 - AG
Party Time Tuesday #196/ - AG
Crafting by Designs - April AG Challenge
Sentimental Sundays #252/ - Springtime Flowers
Cards in Envy/ - Spring is in the Air
One Stitch At A Time #233 - AG with Nature
Emerald Faeries #66 - Spring Flowers
Ladybug Crafts April Challenge - A New Start

11 comments:

  1. Just a beautiful card you created with this image. I like the double framed effect you created looks so beautiful. Thank you for joining the One Stitch At A Time Challenge.
    Deborah DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, this is absolutely amazing!! Gorgeous work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning card Thanks for playing Crafting by Designs Challenge good luck Love and hugs Carole x DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathy, your coloring on this is absolutely stunning!! Can't imagine how long it took you! The outside the box technique adds even more interest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely gorgeous! Love the purples and blues! Thanks for sharing it at The Pink Elephant Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your colouring is stunning and you have made a great card, xx
    Thanks for joining us at Ladybug Crafts this month, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card. Love the coloring and your card design is fabulous. Maggie - DT Teamie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful bouquet of flowers on this gorgeous card! Thanks for sharing with us at Cards in Envy!


    ~Sandy
    Sandy’s Crafty Creations Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! this is gorgeous, Cathy! Fabulous colors and design. Thanks so much for joining us at Aurora Wings. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous card, love the layout and image is beautifully coloured. Thanks so much for joining us over at Emerald Faeries Challenge Blog, good luck and hope to see you again.
    ~ Denise DT ~ Emerald Faeries Challenge Blog
    {Denise's Patch of Creativity}
    {Lil Patch of Crafty Friends Challenge}

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is WOW!!!! Love the depth of your coloring, the color of your flowers and the card design very much. Thank you for joining us at Sentimental Sundays.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them. Cathy